On 12 Jan 2017, at 0:03, Paul Jakma wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017, Paul Jakma wrote:

On Wed, 11 Jan 2017, Martin Winter wrote:

I think it would be beneficial for everyone to have a open discussion on
 who should be on the list
 or not.

Martin, you and I got on well I thought. I respected and trusted you.

Sorry, if this broke. I didn’t see any mistake.

So can you please show myself - and everyone else involved in Quagga (well, the few you havn't been whispering to) - a modicum of respect, and be up front about what has been going on?

Sure, we are involved in a fork, based on a different structure on what we discussed last year and you
blocked for having it implemented with Quagga.
You suggested the fork after all.

We are working on it since approx mid last year (after the discussions broken down)

You, NetDEF (or whatever other companies you represent), have been agitating behind the scenes - contacting people in private - for a fork *for ~1.5 years* now.

1.5 years? I must have missed 1 year of this. Discussions on a fork came up multiple times, but up to last summer, there was always some hope to get changes in the current structure which would speed things up.

First, because of David. [I gather NetDEF, or at least David anyway (who does he work for again?), has been telling people he was kicked out, and for no reason he knows of. Which is at odds with the version of documented reality that I am familiar with].

David works for NetDEF/OpenSourceRouting. Was that ever a question?
And yes, he got kicked out by you (as documented in the past). This was discussed many times. You’ve allowed him back as a “sub-maintainer” (or “roundskeeper”) later, but made a clear distinction between the maintainers
(like you, Greg and Vincent) and him.

I tried to reconcile with "you" (NetDEF? Except, has David *ever* worked?). I tried to send signals on that. That didn't work out.

Yes, he did great work on Quagga. Check out Git history if you need details.

Then you managed to rally the agitation of others about the backlog of patches. (how did that backlog arise? It wasn't under me.).

The fact was that the incoming patch rate was approx 5x to what got in over years. We needed a way to review things faster and send back for rework or integrate it. I heard so many complains from people sending patches
and not getting any feedback for more then a year (if ever).
That was the whole start of the reorg discussion last year.

You've got your fork. Please enjoy it, but please can you stop messing me around?

You prefer me to withdraw from the Quagga project? Stop my testing? If the community (not just you) wishes this, then no issue. No need to fight over this. I do NOT want to screw with Quagga and I’m happy to withdraw my (and potentially everyone else’s from NetDEF/OpenSourceRouting) contribution.

BTW what companies are you or Alistair an officer of? What compan{y,ies} have David, Christian, etc. been working for the last couple of years?

Not sure how this is relevant or even a secret. NetDEF (and OpenSourceRouting is a project of NetDEF) is the answer to all of this. Never tried to hide this and not sure where the confusion is?

I assume you're aware I havn't even started to describe what has gone on.

No, I think I get it that working on a fork is ground for distrust and exclusion. If this community feels like we can’t get along, then I do not want to have this fight and I’m happy to withdraw from Quagga.

Oh, and those things that are not public knowledge are the reason why I had been so stubborn about sticking to pure-consensus decision making, and not agreeing to give you majority voting. I had ceased to trust you (NetDEF, or whatever else). And you didn't do much to rebuild trust either.

Can you explain this specific “pure-consensus decision”? Consensus of who?

BTW: For full transparency, would be still good to announce changes like this to the list.

- Martin