Hi all,

I’ve been doing some reading on the rules about headlights as for a long time
I’ve wanted to improve my 2+2’s headlights, which seem particularly
underwhelming after using my modern car.

There’s a lot of conflicting guidance online, which seems to stem from some
changes to the MOT rules. So I started there, with the relevant part seeming to
be section 4.1.4:
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/mot-inspection-manual-for-private-passenger-and-light-commercial-vehicles/

If I’ve understood it correctly, replacing your halogen bulbs with HID or LED
equivalents is forbidden for any car used after 1st April 1986, and will lead
to an automatic failure (‘light source and lamp not compatible’).  But the part
that’s of interest to me, the amended rule, seems to state that there is NOT an
automatic failure if you have replaced the *entire* headlamp unit with an LED
or HID alternative. I’m presuming that they would need to be CE/UK CA marked,
or given an E number but, again, that aspect seems to generate conflicting
answers – and imported Japan-only or USA-only models seem to be able to pass
MOTs just fine without those markings from what I’ve read.

There seem to be loads of possible replacement headlight units out there so I
was wondering firstly if I’ve understood all of this correctly (anyone know a
tame MOT tester?) and secondly if any of you have replaced your Q’s entire
original halogen units with an LED or HID alternative. I’d be fascinated to
hear what you picked and how it played out.

Hope you’re all having a great weekend.

Matthew

Q2-275