Hi have 100 watt halogen bulbs in mine as did Matthew before me (upgraded
wiring) which strictly speaking are illegal but never been noticed by any MOT
tester.Bob Craig Q2-063Sent from my Galaxy
-------- Original message --------From: "list...@liberator-systems.co.uk"
<lists...@liberator-systems.co.uk> Date: 23/07/2023  13:45  (GMT+00:00) To:
Quantum Owners Group <quantumowners@googlegroups.com> Subject: Re: [Quantum
Owners] Headlamp upgrades The headlight rule change re LED etc. in 2021 was
pretty silly IMO and came in for much criticism. Why pick April 1986 as date ?
Surely it would be better if all older cars were allowed to improve their
halogen style headlights. My saloon is 1985 reg so luckily I can legally fit
led bulbs. With regard MOT test I suspect failure is going to be down to how
stringent the individual tester is. Decent brand led replacement bulbs should
give correct beam pattern - after all the manufacturer must have spent
considerable time and effort developing and testing.  So if beam pattern is
correct why fail? One option of course is to just pop in some old H4 bulbs just
for the MOT.John On Saturday, 22 July 2023 at 20:36:04 UTC+1 Mick L wrote:

As far as I'm aware they allow hid etc if they have washers and self levelling?
Correct my if I am wrong?

From: quantu...@googlegroups.com <quantu...@googlegroups.com> on behalf of
Darren Siepka <dar...@siepka.me.uk>
Sent: 22 July 2023 18:38
To: quantu...@googlegroups.com <quantu...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re: [Quantum Owners] Headlamp upgrades

Yes my 2+2 head lights ( and flaps) have gone !
I have created a mount with the new 90mm Hella unit and a small indicator( also
modular Hella but about 40mm dia) .
The 90mm unit is a bi-xenon , it has a single bulb with a flap to create the
dip cutoff pattern needed for mot.
Two additional items are also needed for xenon ( not sure about led), that is
headlamp washers and self levelling.
Hella sell universal kits to go with the 90mm products , but the washers are
easily and more cheaply done with a universal windscreen wash kit.

Levelling is a little more tricky, the Hella kit uses ultrasonics , I am using
OEM lever arm sensors(BMW mini). I am making up a small driver module that will
read the inputs and adjust the std OEM headlight motors . I will publish the
build
 details including firmware as open source as I do all my work on GitHub.
My friendly MOT man is going to let me use the beam aligner out of hours to set
it up and confirm all is well before the actual MOT test. But I need to finish
getting the car back on road before I can do that.

Darren

On Sat, 22 Jul 2023, 17:51 mgaskin via Quantum Owners Group,