On 2017-03-19 2:26 PM, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> On 2017-03-19 2:08 PM, cooloutac wrote:

>>> You can create one yourself using qubes-builder (
>>> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder ); I just did it myself a
>>> couple of days ago, and it's great! I tried to do do a stretch-minimal
>>> but it failed somewhere in the middle, but jessie-minimal worked fine
>>> and I've switched all of my service vms to use that with coldkernel.
>>> I'll probably get to creating a Thunderbird-only VM using that template
>>> soon.
>>>
>>> I've noticed that there have been a lot of requests for debian-minimal
>>> templates come through; it'd be nice if one could be made and put up in
>>> the Qubes repository (even if it was templates-community) for
>>> convenience sake.
>>
>> welp my brain just melted trying to figure this out.  Searching in
>> qubes-users I just see unman telling people its easy, but can you link me to
>> the actual instructions for building the template? apparently I;m too dumb
>> to find them.  I'm at that github page wanting to shoot myself right now.
>> maybe i need git instructions too lol.
>>
>> I've always compiled gresc on baremetal debian maybe I should just skip to
>> coldkernel attempt?  But I;ve already failed trying to compile a basic
>> kernel in Qubes so I think I'm probably just gonna pass man. :(
>>

> You can follow the Archlinux instructions, but when you get to the step
> where you have to select your template, choose jessie-minimal rather
> than Archlinux:
>
> https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/building-archlinux-template/
>
> The coldkernel instructions ( http://github.com/coldhakca/coldkernel )
> for Debian templates just work; you should have no problems if you
> follow them exactly. You can take the linux-image and linux-header deb
> files that it makes and copy/install them on other Debian templates as well..
>
> Compiling kernels for Qubes using qubes-linux-kernel (
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-linux-kernel ) can be tricky. Upgrading
> the 4.4 version of the kernel works well; I just did it a few days ago
> to upgrade the dom0 kernel 4.4.54. All you had to do was switch into the
> 4.4 branch (git checkout stable-4.4) and then change the text in the
> version file to download the latest version (today, it's 4.4.55) and
> then run make rpms (one of the patches will fail because it's already
> been integrated into the kernel code, so you can just delete the one
> that fails in series.conf; I don't remember which one off the top of my
> head). If you want to do a newer kernel (ex. 4.9 or 4.10), it's a bit
> more involved. I just compiled 4.10.4 for dom0 and it's running fine,
> but you have modify the xen and rpmify patches in their various patch
> directories to work with the new kernel. It's not hard; they all still
> work, it's just that their locations are different so the patches need
> to be updated and that's the part that takes a bit of work. I don't have
> time to write a how-to for that though, but for those who are wondering,
> [...]

Oh, one more thing: If you were thinking about trying to compile a
kernel newer than 4.4, use @marmarek's repository at
https://github.com/marmarek/qubes-linux-kernel and run git checkout
devel-4.8 and work off of that. In fact, you can probably just sub in
4.8.17 in the version file to get the last 4.8 kernel and it should just
work (I can't remember if I had to make any other modifications on top
of that; I don't think I did). It should be easier to migrate up to 4.9
or 4.10 off of that repository, rather than the master Qubes repository
that only goes as high as 4.4.