On Sun, Mar 19, 2017 at 12:24:52PM -0600, Reg Tiangha wrote:
> On 2017-03-19 11:38 AM, Dominique St-Pierre Boucher wrote:
> > On Sunday, March 19, 2017 at 5:51:39 AM UTC-4, tnt_b...@keemail.me wrote:
> >> hi there,
> >>
> >> fedora minimal is great idea to have inside Qubes, i wonder why we dont
> >> have debian minimal as well inside Qubes ?
> >>
> >> (debian-qubes has many packages which r not necessary to be installed e.g
> >> printing packages. tho, it will be nice to install the needed packages
> >> from the user pleasures not by default.)
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >
> > This would be wonderful. I tried to create one by removing some package but
> > not a big impact on space or memory usage.
> >
> > I will follow this thread with interest!
> >
> > Dominique
> >

> You can create one yourself using qubes-builder (
> https://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder ); I just did it myself a
> couple of days ago, and it's great! I tried to do do a stretch-minimal
> but it failed somewhere in the middle, but jessie-minimal worked fine
> and I've switched all of my service vms to use that with coldkernel.
> I'll probably get to creating a Thunderbird-only VM using that template
> soon.
>
> I've noticed that there have been a lot of requests for debian-minimal
> templates come through; it'd be nice if one could be made and put up in
> the Qubes repository (even if it was templates-community) for
> convenience sake.

I hadn't realised that there wasn't one in the repository.
We'll fix this.

In the meantime it is fairly simple to build one yourself, as Reg says.
The instructions are at www.qubes-os.org/doc/qubes-builder/

If they look intimidating, dont be put off for the build.
In the new template install the packages you need:
sudo dnf install gpg git createrepo rpm-build make wget rpmdevtools python-sh
dialog rpm-sign dpkg-dev debootstrap PyYAML:
Close down the template.
Create a qube based on that template: doesn't hurt to give it some extra
space in private storage

Start the new qube.
Clone the build repository:
'git clone git://github.com/QubesOS/qubes-builder.git qubes-builder '
'cd qubes-builder '

Run the setup file:
'./setup'

Follow the defaults for the first three screens, and then select the
builder-debian plugin on the 4th, Builder plugin screen.
Select YES to download sources

On the template selection page deselect fc23 and select jessie+minimal.

Then build the template:
'make qubes-vm'
'make template'

You will have to copy the template in to dom0 but there is a handy
script at the end of the build log to help you do this.

The build logs are  in the build-logs directory.
You can also turn on verbose output by putting VERBOSE=1 in builder.conf
file instead of VERBOSE=0.

If you like to mess around with the build, the relevant bits are in
qubes-src/builder-debian/template_debian. That's where the package lists
are.

If you're going to do this more than once I would strongly recommend
use of a caching proxy - it will save you a huge amount of time and
bandwidth.

unman