yes, I have network-manager listed in the services tabs for sys-net (I suppose
that this what the service you were referring to. adding NetworkManager causes
the VM startup to fail).

Moreover, if I try to use the same template for sys-usb and then try to open
some usb stick, I get the message:

Not authorized to perform operation (polkit authority not available and caller
is not uid0), so again an authorization issue. I suspect this may have
something to do with the procedure to make the minimal template passwordless (
https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/vm-sudo/ )

If someone has some insight about this I'd really appreciate it :)

Cheers,
Fab