On 2018-01-12 08:00, 'awokd' via qubes-users wrote:
> On Fri, January 12, 2018 1:09 pm, Holger Levsen wrote:
>
>> I'm not so sure, why not use git branches?

One reason that comes to mind:

Segregating the documentation into two different branches would mean
that contributions that apply to both Qubes versions would only end up
in one branch, unless someone remembers to manually submit the same
thing to the other branch and actually makes the effort to do so. Most
of the time, this won't happen. When it does, it means a second pull
request that has to be reviewed. Over time, the different branches
will diverge in non-version-specific content. Good general content
that was submitted only to the 3.2 branch will effectively disappear
once 3.2 is deprecated. (Even if it's still on the website, no one
will look at it, since it'll explicitly be in the subdirectory of a
deprecated version. And there will be a motivation to remove it from
the website so that search results aren't populated with out-of-date
information.)

> It doesn't sound like that's the route the Qubes team wants to
> take right now,

Not necessarily. We want to take whichever route is best. We just want
to be sure it would be a big enough improvement to be worth the
associated costs. As I wrote above:

"If there turn out to be significant, compelling reasons to make
completely separate sets of docs (one for 3.2 and one for 4.x), of
course I'd be happy to do that. We should weigh the costs and
benefits, and choose whichever system is best. From a maintainability
perspective, it seems simpler and easier just to have a single set of
docs, and that's what Qubes has always had, so that's why it's the
default system right now. That's not set in stone, but I think an
alternative system should deliver significant benefits for it
be worthwhile for us to move from the default system. So far, it seems
like the objections to sticking with the default system and simply
having separate sections within the existing docs rest on
misunderstandings about how that system would work, but I'd be
happy to be convinced otherwise. :)"

> but at least splitting the content on the same page would make it
> easier to migrate to that approach if they change their minds!

- --
Andrew David Wong (Axon)
Community Manager, Qubes OS
https://www.qubes-os.org