On Fri, Feb 23, 2018 at 10:44:04AM -0800, Yuraeitha wrote:
> On Friday, February 23, 2018 at 3:00:51 AM UTC+1, Kyle Breneman wrote:
> > >Does this help?
> >
> > >https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora/#after-installing
> >

> > Yes, somewhat, but I found #7 on this page more helpful.  I've almost
> > gotten everything configured the way I want, but one thing still puzzles
> > me.  I used "sudo dnf remove qubes-template-fedora-23" from the terminal
> > (mistakenly did this before deleting/switching all app VMs that depended on
> > it), but apparently that didn't completely remove fedora-23 template VM
> > because even after several restarts the fedora-23 template VM is still
> > showing up in the Qubes VM Manager.  How can I get rid of it for good?
> >

> > Regards,
> >
> > Kyle
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 1:25 AM, Andrew David Wong <a...@qubes-os.org>
> > wrote:

> > On 2018-02-20 22:48, Kyle Breneman wrote:
> >
> > > I'm running Qubes 3.2.  I have the default Fedora 23 template VM, and the
> >
> > > default app VMs built from it, but I also installed a Fedora 26 template
> >
> > > VM.  Now I want to delete or upgrade my Fedora 23 app VMs, but I cannot
> >
> > > figure out how to do this.  The "Delete VM" menu option in the Qubes VM
> >
> > > Manager always seems to be grayed-out.  How can I either delete these app
> >
> > > VMs based on Fedora 23, or switch them over to my Fedora 26 template?
> >

> > > Regards,
> >
> > > Kyle
> >

> > Does this help?
> >

> > https://www.qubes-os.org/doc/templates/fedora/#after-installing
> >

> > - --
> >
> > Andrew David Wong (Axon)
> >
> > Community Manager, Qubes OS
> >
> > https://www.qubes-os.org

> It's an issue someone else encountered in the past, somewhere on these mail
> threads, at least a good couple months back if memory serves. I thought it
> had since then been made impossible by now to remove the template
> prematurely? But it seems not. In this case, you can now only remove it
> manually once the damage has been done. At least to my knowledge about it.
> The link Andrew linked should do the trick.
>
> Currently there is not enough redundancy to prevent mistakes such as
> premature removal, or mixing up qvm-remove and "dnf remove", which both can
> cause mayharm.
>
> Is this something that's been put on github tracking issues/features? anyone
> knows?

I dont think it is possible to mix up qvm-remove and dnf remove. You
cannot use qvm-remove on a template installed using dnf, and dnf remove
wont do anything on a cloned template.
Also, isnt there still a warning if trying to remove a template which
has qubes using it? If not, that's a bad regression. I'm sure there was.

Does the template still appear if you run 'dnf list *template*'?
If a template remains, I would first try dnf-remove again and note the
response.
Then manually remove it , if that hasnt worked and errors cant be fixed,
but that sounds like a dnf issue.