I also have the same experience (like Jonathan) with Rcmdr in Mac with
Mavericks.  After few minutes Rcmdr starts to have time lags.  I updated to
XQuartz 2.7.5 but the behavior is the same.

Best,

Manuel

2013/11/20 Reijo Sund <reijo.s...@helsinki.fi>

> So far I have not had problems with XQuartz, but similar slow-down
> occasionally happens while using tcltk-applications with the Aqua version
> of Tcl/Tk (ActiveTcl 8.6.x binary distribution). Unfortunately I have not
> been able to create a reproducible example.
>
> Anyhow, if XQuartz update won’t help, maybe it is worth checking if there
> is any difference while using R.app or command-line R.
>
> - - -
>
> Prof Brian Ripley <rip...@stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> > Just checking: which version of XQuartz?
> >
> > Although I have not experienced any problems, people recommended
> updating to 2.7.5 and I got prompted to do that yesterday (it was released
> last week).
> >
> > On 20/11/2013 11:52, John Fox wrote:
> >> Dear Jonathan,
> >>
> >> I'm afraid that I don't know why you're experiencing this problem. I
> upgraded my own Mac to Mavericks and the Rcmdr still appears to work fine.
> Also, no one else has reported this problem to me, which of course doesn't
> mean that no one else has experienced it.
> >>
> >> I don't doubt that something is wrong on your system but I don't know
> what it might be. You've already reinstalled all of the relevant software,
> which is what I would have suggested.
> >>
> >> I'm copying this response to the R Mac OS X email list in case someone
> who reads the list has a suggestion or, perhaps, has also experienced the
> problem.
> >>
> >> I'm sorry that I can't be of more help at this time.
> >>
> >> John

> you by Dr. Ann Brearley because I am having issues running Rcmdr in XQuartz
> since upgrading to OSX Mavericks.  Rcmdr runs slowly, more-so as a lag,
> after an initial 1-2 minutes of use.  Prior to that 1-2 minutes of use and
> the subsequent lag in performance, Rcmdr runs perfectly fine via XQuartz.
>  Once closing out XQuartz and restarting it, Rcmdr runs fine until after
> 1-2 minutes of use when the lag sets in again.
> reinstalled XQuartz.  When that failed to solve the problem, I reinstalled
> XQuartz along with R and Rcmdr.  That attempt also failed.  I do not know
> what else to do or who/where else to turn.
> this problem?

*Manuel Spínola, Ph.D.*
Instituto Internacional en Conservación y Manejo de Vida Silvestre
Universidad Nacional
Apartado 1350-3000
Heredia
COSTA RICA