Dear Jonathan et al,

First, thank you to all who responded. As I said, I haven't noticed this
problem myself, but I'll try again on my Mac later today when I have some time
and see whether I can reproduce it. I suspect that this is a tcltk-related
issue, not specific to the Rcmdr, but I don't know that for sure.

In the meantime, here are two things to try:

(1) Reijo Sund suggested trying to run R and the Rcmdr from the command line
(i.e., in a terminal window), to see whether the problem manifests itself
there. The Rcmdr doesn't need R.app.

(2) It's possible that the slowdown is caused by the way that the Rcmdr handles
R Markdown documents. The overhead gets greater as the session proceeds. To
test this possibility, you could suppress the R Markdown tab (via the Rcmdr
Tools -> Options menu, Output tab -- uncheck the box for R Markdown) and see
whether the problem disappears.

Please let me know what happens.

Best,
 John