On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 10:54 PM, Mohit Sindhwani <t...@onghu.com> wrote:
> John W. Long wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Looking for some feedback on something.
>>
>> I'm thinking about changing the URL tags to operate on and return the full
>> URL. I'm also thinking adding a new set of path tags for the case when you
>> just want to work with the path.
>>
>> This would mean that <r:if_url>, <r:url>, and friends would all work off
>> of the full URL (beginning with "http" and ending with any URL params
>> "?param=value&etc", while <r:if_path>, <r:path>, and friends would operate
>> off of the path for the page ("/parent-page/slug/etc").
>>
>> We could probably also rig up a migration that would change old <r:if_url>
>> tags to <r:if_path> tags, etc.
>>
>> Would anyone have any objection to this? It would make the language we are
>> using a little more consistent with the language that Rails uses, and would
>> yield greater flexibility.
>
> Sounds useful to me.  I'm not using any thing specific that needs the
> functionality (maybe because it wasn't there?) but it sure sounds useful.

I think this is a good idea. Possibly painful, but ultimately good.

I'd like to broaden the discussion a bit and also suggest a change to
if_content so that it checks if content is not blank in a part, and
if_part which would check if the part exists. I think those names
would be more consistent with their features, much like the if_url and
if_path would be.

--
Jim Gay
http://www.saturnflyer.com