>> I'd rather not need to do <r:if_content
>> part="my_part"><r:unless_blank>... all the time just to allow users to
>> keep their easy-to-understand-and-remember places to put text.
>
> You won't. You'll do:
>
> <r:unless_blank part="sidebar"><r:content part="sidebar" /></r:unless_blank>
>
> There is no need to use both conditionals.

Ok. At first this seems reasonable, but will unless_blank also
implement the inherit attribute to look up the page tree? If not, then
I would need to use both conditionals depending on the layout. The
docs should be very clear that it only works on the current contextual
page and that the if/unless_blank tag would essentially override the
inherit attribute when using <r:content part="sidebar" inherit="true"
/>

If it will be implemented with inherit, it brings me back to just
wanting to use if_content. And if_content has other nice features like
finding multiple parts.

If we do create if/unless_blank and limit it's scope to the current
page (no inheriting) I'd be inclined to prepend a warning to the
output of <r:content /> (in Rails development environment) when
inherit is used inside if/unless_blank that states that inherit will
not work on <r:content /> within the if/unless_blank tag... or
something like that.

> What about a radiant config setting for standard part names? Perhaps it is
> default page parts that should go away.

That sounds reasonable. I'd rather not need to configure it, but it
should do fine.
The default page parts discussion might be good for another thread,
but I think default page parts are best by setting defaults for a
page's children. A blog/article section might always have a summary,
but not the 'about us' section. I'm inclined to leave it as is for
now, or simply remove it and only create 'body' by default.

--
Jim Gay
http://www.saturnflyer.com