Hi Jim,
Thanks for your note. I actually did send a more detailed email to the
list after your note yesterday morning, but I think it got held up in
the moderator's queue.

Thanks to heroic efforts of the wonderful support staff at
RailsPlayground, we finally got my new VPS configured with all the
most crucial extensions at 2am this morning. The problems were not
caused by the VPS or by missing gems. As I suspected, there were
different issues with each extension, some of which went unnoticed
right away and caused extensions installed farther down the line to
not install correctly or not install at all.

The main culprit was the comments extension, which is the one
responsible for the "nil object" message referenced below. If I had
not been so relatively new to Radiant and so worn out I might have
realized how to fix this before 1:30 in the morning :-)

What I had to do was modify by hand the two fields in the pages table
that the comments extension adds from Null to Zero Fill. Then the "nil
object" message went away and the pages loaded without a glitch.

I hope this manual fix does not create further problems down the road.
If anyone has any warnings for me, I'm all ears.

I'm wondering if the comments extension was developed and tested using
MySQL 5.1, which is what is on my VPS. Maybe earlier versions of MySQL
were not so picky...
~ Alexis
Alexis Masters, author