On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 11:53 AM, Alexis Masters
<alexismast...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Jim,
> Thanks for your note. I actually did send a more detailed email to the
> list after your note yesterday morning, but I think it got held up in
> the moderator's queue.
>
> Thanks to heroic efforts of the wonderful support staff at
> RailsPlayground, we finally got my new VPS configured with all the
> most crucial extensions at 2am this morning. The problems were not
> caused by the VPS or by missing gems. As I suspected, there were
> different issues with each extension, some of which went unnoticed
> right away and caused extensions installed farther down the line to
> not install correctly or not install at all.
>
> The main culprit was the comments extension, which is the one
> responsible for the "nil object" message referenced below. If I had
> not been so relatively new to Radiant and so worn out I might have
> realized how to fix this before 1:30 in the morning :-)
>
> What I had to do was modify by hand the two fields in the pages table
> that the comments extension adds from Null to Zero Fill. Then the "nil
> object" message went away and the pages loaded without a glitch.
>
> I hope this manual fix does not create further problems down the road.
> If anyone has any warnings for me, I'm all ears.
>
> I'm wondering if the comments extension was developed and tested using
> MySQL 5.1, which is what is on my VPS. Maybe earlier versions of MySQL
> were not so picky...
> ~ Alexis
> =================

Thanks for the details.
I'm currently maintaining the Comments extension.

I took a quick look at the migrations and it seems that the first one
creates columns on the pages table and then tries to update them
without first reloading the table information, and it also never sets
a default value for the enable_comments field.

I believe I've corrected this for others, but thanks for reporting the problem.
http://github.com/artofmission/radiant-comments/commit/71a32c46039658cee6ea54d7ef85bb4cccca9559

> On Jan 28, 2010, at 10:18 AM, Jim Gay wrote:
>
>> On Jan 28, 2010, at 1:05 PM, Alexis Masters wrote:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>> I have numerous successful Radiant sites running now and I love the
>>> CMS, though I have always has some difficulty getting the extensions
>>> installed. I have been working in a shared environment with earlier
>>> Radiant sites, but since I hoped to use Multi-Site and host a number
>>> of Radiant clients in this instance, I decided to move to a VPS
>>> account. I have had the worst trouble installing the necessary
>>> extensions. Almost none installed correctly though I have gone