On 2 Feb 2011, at 10:19, potapuff wrote:

> Have same problem: all pages a responsed with 200 code.
>
> First of all i'd check:
>        SiteController.cache_timeout      ~1 day
>        Radiant::Config['dev.host']       is different from production
>        Page.find_by_parent_id(nil).cache?    true

I've been looking into this a bit more and I suspect that for both you and Carl
these tests are conducted while you are logged into the admin part of the site?
Rack::Cache by default is configured to pass through any request that comes
with a Cookie header. That would explain why visitors like Anton didn't see the
performance problems that Carl was describing.

If so it could be considered a testing artefact, but there are other reasons
why a cookie might be present and we don't want them all to disable the cache.
I've just checked in an update to make the cache indifferent to cookies and
explicitly uncache the admin pages instead. I'd be interested to see if your
results are different now.

There is probably a debate to be had here but imho the radiant codebase
generally presumes that pages are not personalised and if we want to build for
efficient delivery of per-user content then we need to change a lot more than
just the cache headers. I think this update just makes things more consistent,
but I'm happy to be disagreed with. Caching is a tricky subject and I am often
wrong.

This should also help with extensions like reader and shop that use their own
cookieing scheme. I'm doing some experiments with cached forum pages to see how
that works out.

best,

will