Chris:

I think you are right, there is an element of elitism. Still, that may be a
small part

of the equation.  Some people who are not the least elitist are also culture
mavens.

This was certainly true of many immigrant Jews of the first decades of the

20th century  -and look where it got them, the top-o-the-heap.

There also are those odd birds like Eric Hoffer, a longshoreman who wrote

the best seller, The True Believer.   If you have read this still very relevant
book

you know that Hoffer was dripping with high culture even though the book

is a tour de force of political thinking and social psych.

These days the best examples of the phenomenon are Asians, especially the
Japanese

and Chinese.  Symphony orchestras remain viable in the USA and Europe but where

"business is booming" is in Japan and China.  Those countries now produce  some

of the world's best musicians of various kinds.  And some of the world's premier

classical music venues are located in places like Shanghai and Tokyo.

America has seen the arrival of top notch baseball players from Japan, think
Ichiro,

for many years the star of the Seattle Mariners.  But also think Seiji Ozawa,

for many years the conductor of the Boston symphony.

India has been in the picture too. Think Zubin Mehta, a Parsi, who has conducted

orchestras of status around the world, in the USA, Europe, and lately Israel.

Hell, nothing will replace quality jazz or quality Rock-n-Roll, but classical
music

can be and often is quality music like nothing  else.  Yes, the classical
establishment

needs its own house cleaning, the whole atonalist phenomenon of the past half
century

has been a huge mistake, IMHO, but reforms are possible and the sooner the
better.

What you said about a range of types of educational experience is very well
taken.

My years as a draftsman working side by side with architects and engineers

taught me that, not counting experiences working with clients as a graphic
artist

and as s sign painter. In all such instances I would stress the value of
something

important to you, psychology.

It all adds up.

Indeed, we each need career skills; they are indispensable. Its just that we

also need cultural knowledge, and need it badly.

Have you seen any of the episodes of "Victoria" on PBS? I was impressed at how

the queen, as part of her education, learned to be a top rate classical pianist.

As did her husband, Prince Albert. And Albert, astute as he was as an art
aficionado,

was also a man ahead of his times in the technology of his era.  OK, it is
elitist

to refer to the British aristocracy but, damn, that aristocracy

stood for quality.

Billy