On the face of it the Roku M1000 series (the only ones I'm familiar
with) seemed to have a number of advantages over the correponding
SlimDevices offerings at the time (SB1).

1. Configure and access internet radio stations without a server
2. Access local uPnP servers
3. Play PlaysForSure media

Since they also implemented the SlimProto, you could also use them with
a local SlimServer.

However, the Roku firmware was always a step behind the Slim stuff and
my personal experience was that the SlimDevices were far more reliable.
Since PlaysForSure is dead and the SqueezeBox Server software is better
than most (all?) uPNP/DLNA servers, the only real advantage of the Roku
is that you can access a limited number of radio stations without a
server.  However, the web configuration screen is primitive and the Roku
firmware hasn't been updated in long time.  Being able to access a radio
station was pretty hit and miss in my experience, with no recourse if it
didn't work.

In the end my Roku's are gathering dust, but my original SB1 is still
in use.

--
BigPotato