BigPotato;492444 Wrote:
> I'm pretty sure the Roku devices don't have the same requirements as a
> SB regarding a server.  The device may query a Roku server to check for
> firmware updates, but the internet radio functionality and a web server
> for configuration is all built-in.

Way off topic, but this thread has pretty much run it's course
anyway....

I had a chance encounter with a Roku user over the weekend at a Holiday
party.  We were both eyeing the party hosts Hi-Fi gear, so I knew we
would hit it off.  The conversation eventually turned to streaming
devices.  She has two Roku players, when I told her I use SqueezeBox
players.... she slapped me and walked away.

I'm kidding  :)  But she did reveal some interesting tidbits about Roku
players that I think may answer how the Roku players can be utilized
absent a server.  The two most glaring tidbits were:
1.  Roku players are limited to a total of 18 presets/favorites
streams
2.  Roku supports no third party Music Services (Napster, Pandora,
Last.fm, etc..)

Now, to be fair, she did say she only uses one model player (two of the
same players in her home), she's never connected them to her computer,
and she has not logged into the online Roku server in a LONG time.  So
she may not be up on the latest Roku offerings, but was rather confident
the above issues were accurate in her usage.

Are these stated restrictions true?  Maybe you Roku users could
comment?

If they are true then that probably explains why a Roku player can be
self managed within the player itself without need of a server.  I'm not
knocking the simplistic architecture of Roku players, but I guess
simplicity has it's price:  less configurable, less customizable, no
Music Services, limited presets/favorites, fewer choices.

I think it would be quite difficult to cram all of the SqueezeBox
features, benefits, customizations, Music Services (and management of
them), flexibility, etc.. into the hardware player itself.  But then
this feature rich architecture does require connection to a server.

Advantages, disadvantages, and the associated price paid for each.   :)

--
toby10