Darren,

No. I am decidedly not talking about a shifting pattern where you have
to keep double shifting the front and rear derailers.  I am talking
about simplifying the shifting pattern when you do have to shift the
front derailler.  At the risk  of overstating what you already know...

There are 4 variable that must be considered when selecting gearing.
First, how wide a range do you want, second how much distance between
gears are you willing to tolerate, third, how much shifting do you
have to do to get from one gear to the next, and fourth, finally, what
are your individual preferences amongst the first three.  I can't
speak at all to the last for you but can only encourage you to
consider all 4 in making decisions.

I have a strong preference to have a fairly consistent difference of
about 10 % between gears and this eliminates the wide range cassetes
like the 8 spd 12x 32 you use.  I use a 9 spd. 12x27.  I also have a
strong preference to have a simple shifting pattern.  Together, this
means i am forced to make some comprimises about how wide a range I
can use.   When shifting between rings a difference of ten teeth will
generally put the next gear one rear shift away.  This works well with
doubles but is too limiting for triples.  So for triples I typically
use 46x36x26.  Doubles get more complicated.  I find that a difference
of 12 or 16 leaves me searching for the next gear, while a difference
of 14 puts me two cogs away from the next gear.

Here's my favorite set up for a double:

        12      13      14      15      17      19      21      24      27
48      108     100     93      86      76      68      62      54      X
34       X      71      66      61      54      48      44      38      34

This gives a pretty big high gear, a manageable low gear for most
situations and an easy shifting pattern.  I can slide up or down the
cog set with about 10 % between gears and when I need to shift rings,
I can know that I am 2 cogs from the next gear, e.g from 54 down to 48
or 62 down to 54.

A 46 X 30 looks more complicated:

        12      13      14      15      17      19      21      24      27
46      104     96      89      83      73      65      59      52      x
30      x       62      58      54      48      43      39      34      30

The next gear is now three cogs away.  E.G.  from 59 to 54.
Certainly doable, but you might want to think about it before you go
that wide.

Here's what a 44 X 30 looks like.

        12      13      14      15      17      19      21      24      27
44      99      91      85      79      70      63      57      50      X
30      X       62      58      54      48      43      39      34      30

In this case the two cog shift is a little more than my ideal of 10%,
(e. g. 50 to 43 or 54 to 63) but still perhaps acceptable.

For me, I would be willing to give up one half gear at the top  (99 vs
104) to get a simpler shifting pattern.  Others will disagree.

BTW, there are web sites that can help in calculating gear ratios, but
its pretty easy to set up  a spreadsheet like Numbers or Excel to do
this.  The formualis simplify ( Ring/cog) X 27.  This is an imperfect
approximation, but good enough for government work!

Perfection is not reachable nor worth worrying about.  Try what looks
like the best trade-off for you and change it if you feel you need to.

Michael