Michael's analysis and explanation is excellent; this from a former
gear freak who used to tape little gear charts to my stem/
Speaking of multiple gears: I've ridden nothing but fixed and single
for a number of years, but today I was toodling along on my daughter's
new 3/4 size Townie 3i (thye 3 speed Nexus, aluminum version of the
townie), and it is pretty nice to have a lower, headwind or  hill gear
or two; so I went out out and bought a 18 t  bailout
cog to supplement the 16 cruising cog (69").

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM