Have a 1x9 on my Sam Hillborne and it works fine.  But I don't do a lot of
off-road or really steep hill climbing so the 39 up front with an 11-36 in
back is sufficient.  If you went with a 32t up front and an 11-36 in the
back you'd probably be good to go.  Maybe a 30t up front if you want a
really low gear.

The best thing about a 1xanything is tire clearance with wide tires.
 Talking 2.7 inches and wider here.  On most bikes the inner chainring and
largest cogs can get too close to knobs and sidewalls.  One of the many
reasons that 1x10 is making such good headway.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN