Chris:

"All-rounder" covers a lot of sins.  I consider my Atlantis an all rounder
because it's my daily ride, goes off road well enough for my purposes (like
you, no single track gnarly MTBing) and I can toss 40 lbs of junk on it
(and another 10 psi in the tires) and take off on tour.  But there's a ton
of bikes that'll do all that quite competently.  The LHT is a known
quantity that should be a competent all rounder.

As to the differences between a pre-sus MTB and the LHT, I can offer my
experience with my Atlantis & '90 Fisher HK-II.  The two most noticeable
differences in handling come from the higher BB on the Fisher and the
shorter chainstays.  The Atlantis is more comfortable, stable, predicable,
etc., BUT one needs to keep in mind it's easier to strike a pedal
off-road.  The higher BB on the MTB translates into more responsive
handling with more ground clearance; desireable qualities off-road.  OTH,
the longer chainstays on the Atlantis mean far less fussing around when
mounting panniers.  I've used a rear rack with panniers on the Fisher, and
the bags definitely get shoved as far back as possible for foot clearance
(size 11 feet, not an unusual size).

The Fisher is clearly a stiffer ride, as one would expect from a bike
designed to bounce down Mt Tam, etc.  With 2" Schwalbe Marathon Supreme
tires, it still has gobs of clearance.  There are a fair number of
braze-ons & I've had front low riders on as well as a rear rack.  Recently
I discovered it has an odd-ball headset size (1-1/4") so replacement parts
may be a future issue.  It's TIG welded steel, with no tubing stickers, and
cost around $500 when I bought it in 1990.  It has decent parts but I'm
certain there were a gazillion similar bikes produced at the time.

As a counterpoint, one of my touring buds has a late 90s rigid fork
Stumpjumper that he has used for touring all over the world.  He's not much
for off-roading but declares the bike "perfectly adequate" for daily riding
and fully loaded touring.  He tours frequently with a couple that both have
LHTs & love'em dearly.

If you don't plan on a lot of load carrying (but somehow that sneaks up on
you when "it can be done") you might compare the Cross Check to the LHT. Of
course, right now the coolest all rounder is the Sam Hillborne.....used
ones come up for sale here from time to time.  Food for thought.

dougP