On Wednesday, February 25, 2015 at 1:42:01 PM UTC-8, ascpgh wrote:

> The right tool for the job, and the humbleness to recognize when such are
> necessary.
>
> Folks really do take themselves too seriously.

Agree! I love these types of threads! You see all sides. I'm from the camp
that if CF bikes, lycra gets people riding, well go for it! I have a buddy
who for over 20+ years, we've been trying to get him out and riding with
us. For 20+ years, he says naw, all I need is my old  is my old mtb. He
hated dt shifters and thought the positioning on a road bike was too
painful.

Then about 4 years ago, he wanted a new bike and went into a Specialized
dealer. They put him on an aluminum road bike, but one designed for higher
bars with a wider seat and BAM, he was hooked! Not only did he buy the bike
and wanted to ride, he actually "upgraded" to the carbon model within 2
weeks!! Further, and I'm not done yet, two years later he started talking
to us about getting a new bike?! The next thing you know he walks into a
Trek dealer and drops $5K+ on a Madone with the latest ultegra di2!
Moreover, and you all will love this, this guy, who was 5'11 190, got so
into riding that he DROPPED 30 POUNDS!!!! Yup, all of a sudden, he has the
latest clothing (lycra jersey, shorts, the whole 9 yards) and is killing
everyone blasting up the hill?!!  Now, this is nothing but anedotal and
just one example, but for my buddy, the right tool got him going! I don't
care what it was made out of, but the supposedly stiff, uncomfortable
aluminum frame road bike got him hooked and we love it!

Btw, for all you paleo lovers, you'll hate this guy! While dropping 30lbs,
he still eats like a pig and that includes massive amounts of noodles, rice
and bread (hey, a guy's got to carbo load!)....

In the meantime, I'm just the opposite and can't drop an ounce. Maybe I
need to do that paleo thing....Good Luck!