Brewster

My Bombadil is quite stiff.  Bikes that "plane" are really flexible.  My
Bombadil does not plane.  My Rawland Stag with 7/4/7 standard diameter top
tube and downtube does plane.  My Bombadil is very stout.  I use it for
camping and trail riding.  At times, I am carrying most of the gear for a
family of four.  When my bike weighs over 90lbs, the extra few ounces of
the second top tube does not bother me.  Of my 10 bikes, my Bombadil is
definitely the most stout.  My Ibis Tandem is also very stiff, with
radically oversized steel tubing, in addition to a long additional diagonal
tube between the top tube and downtube.

For what it's worth, I share your opinion that a 59cm Soma San Marcos,
which is supposed to be a sporty road bike, maybe doesn't need a second top
tube.  But in general, when a bike doesn't appeal to me, I just don't buy
it, and leave it at that.  Maybe somebody else does love it and wants to
buy it, and if that gets them riding, why not!

For what it's worth 2, I'm kind of glad my 56cm Sam Hillborne doesn't have
a second top tube, because in my application I don't need it.  That bike is
currently built up quite light, and I just put a pair of 700x38 extralight
Barlow Pass tires on it.  That bike should really sing on the road now!
 I'm excited.