Comparing it to the Hunqapillar and Atlantis,  the most interesting thing
about the Appaloosa geometry to me is that it appears to be intended for
use with a smaller maximum tire size.  Perhaps this suggests that it
is slated to be even more of a touring-specific bike, than the jack-of-many
trades bike that the other two are?  The Hunqapillar says 60mm (2.4") max,
while the Atlantis and Appaloosa both say 55mm (2") max.  We know, of
course that people successfully run 2.5" even on the Atlantis - but it
shares the same, huge, 80mm bottom bracket drop that the Hunqapillar has
(or vice versa).    The drop on the Appaloosa, on the other hand, is 2 to 3
mm less, so it sits  higher.

So even if you could squeeze a bigger-than-rated tire in there, it's going
to raise the center of gravity and the top tube as well.  As a
mountain bike, this might actually be better, but the sizing would
effectively run a little larger.  As a touring bike, a higher center of
gravity would seem to reduce stability - but maybe the longer chainstays
compensate?   Or maybe 3mm is not enough to be noticeable, and my thinking
is exactly opposite of correct, and it would be even MORE of a
jack-of-all-trades.

Either way, it seems to be a bit of a departure from existing Rivendell
philosophy, where even the recent Clem has the same drop as the Atlantis
and Hunqapillar.  Tire size listed is kind of curious too, given the fact
that  most of us tend to try to squeeze in the biggest tire we can fit, and
that fatter tires are becoming available regularly.   I would have expected
the beautiful new crown to take an even wider tire.