On 01/31/2018 03:29 PM, Jim M. wrote:
On Wednesday, January 31, 2018 at 11:01:14 AM UTC-8, Steve Palincsar wrote:

    we'ved asked around and /not one single person on the entire club
    ride/ -- and they themselves all had threadless headsets -- *ever*
    had any idea how to adjust one.

That's a fault of the user, not the technology. Do they actually do any work on their bikes?

Obviously not -- at least, not beyond putting air into the tires.

But I didn't say it was a fault of the technology.  What I said was it was a theoretical advantage that failed to manifest itself in real life on account of user ignorance.

Threadless are easy peasy to adjust. Though -- like threaded -- if they're installed properly, you shouldn't need to adjust them on a ride.

Agreed.  Being totally ignorant of mountain biking other than seeing pictures of MTB riders falling from great heights into holes and such, I'm willing to accept the possibility that MTB may produce abusive situations where headsets do loosen in use on a ride.

I use both and wouldn't claim one is better than the other. I'm getting a threaded NItto that has a removable faceplate, so it's the best of both worlds, I hope.

There are advantages and disadvantages to each system.  Threadless may have clearly won in the marketplace but I'm not convinced its advantages accrue to the end user as much as they do to the manufacturer.

--
Steve Palincsar
Alexandria, Virginia