I don't know if i agree. A 3000$ bike, if truly and consistently left for
weeks on end (and not just at the times that the person happens to drive by
and see it), makes me think that something bad happened. Serious illness,
injury, death... something that is preventing the owner from coming back to
get it. I don't think i'd have stolen it back, but i do think that if/when
the owner tries to retrieve it, they'll probably have better luck finding
it in the bike community, than still locked up months later (i mean,
realistically it wont last long.)

What i'm more curious about is how it wasn't stolen over weeks of sitting
out.  I've had less nice bikes double u-locked and stolen while i was
watching a movie.