I'm going to say that if that were my bike and "something bad happened" to me I
would NOT want a stranger to cut my lock and put it in their garage and try to
look for me.

Even if "something bad" happens to me I will know where I left my bike and will
return for it or send someone for it.

Or even if I don't, I wouldn't feel better about someone with good intentions
taking it.  Dont mess with other peoples things.  That is my personal outlook.

Just because one person perceives their actions to be good intentioned and
thinks that they are part of some sort of community does not mean that the
other party sees things the same or even knows that said community exists.  The
more I read this thread the ridiculous I find this line of reasoning.