I’ll agree with all of this on the condition that we all agree that purchasing
a bike you think is stolen to try and return it to the rightful owner is also a
crime, raises as many or more ethical issues, and should no longer be praised.
Intentions don’t matter, right? Purchasing stolen property is a crime. This
happens a few times a year on this list and I have NEVER heard anyone condemn
the purchaser.

For example:
https://groups.google.com/forum/m/#!searchin/rbw-owners-bunch/Stolen/rbw-owners-bunch/kE4C2hvv-xY

I say we give the guy a break. No one knows all the circumstances and we are in
a poor position to act as judge and jury.

Chris