I'm a Nebraskan, and rode the trail from O'Neil to Norfolk last year.

I'd say your marathons will hold up for sure. I didn't encounter any goatheads,
but not saying there isn't any.

Kansas is a notorious state for those damn things.  When I lived down there,  I
only had a few flats on thousands of miles of riding my Scwalbe Marathon Plus
tires through goathead country.

Just bring extra tubes, you'll be good. Have fun!!!

Dean