I commuted to work for 30 years. In those 30 years I had only one
altercation, with a young aggressive boy in a pickup truck (a Southwest
staple). Other than that everybody knew me. The secretaries would
occasionally wave (with their perfume filling my nostrils as they drove by
at 45mph). My commuter was a late 70's Holdsworth Mistral converted to
fixed. British racing green, fenders, drop bars, saddlebag, knickers,
sweater, wool cap. Every day was a tweed day for me. One morning a fella
pulled alongside, very well dressed, gave me a thumbs up, and yelled "Rule
Britannia." He was in a beautifully restored TR 6. Subsequently saw him in
a gorgeous Austin Healey 3000.
     I think your regular presence breeds acceptance. If the same people
see you at the same time. Commuting is much more fun when it's not seen as
a battle.

     Also, I bought my Toyota pickup in 2002 with 30 thousand on it. It's
got 130 thousand now. You can do the math. Most of those are camping miles
from innumerable sojourns around the Southwest. Probably why the thing runs
so well now...all those long distances at a constant speed.

Craig in Tucson