Interesting points all, and fun to think about. the double kickstand idea
is already reassuring.

A trailer would be hard for us to store currently, but i guess we'd find a
way if it was significantly better. I was just trying to figure out front
vs rear mounted seats, which is frustrating on its own. I think I'm leaning
rear though.

There was a guy who posted about a multi day trip he took thru joshua tree
with his child on a hunqapillar with one of those seats. i still think
about that and am amazed by it.

I had an idea to turn one of those crust cargo forks into some sort of seat
for when he gets a little older. mostly because i think that weird cargo
fork on a lift-a-tubed step thru would make a truly insane looking bike.

1x system will probably have to be pretty budget for the time being, though
i'd love to get my hands on a WI crankset at some point. I just pulled the
trigger on a 11-42 sunrace cassette. Any chainline issues i should be aware
of?