Jim,

Good timing for me as i just sold a bunch of things.  Part of what makes
selling things on this group different is that most people are selling
things that they genuinely like but no longer use or were not quite right
for them.  Its pretty curated when you compare to other groups as a lot of
the parts actually come from Rivish places or from the list itself.  At
least in my case i would say that 90% of what i've recently sold either
came from the list or a list-adjacent dealer.  I do have a few thoughts:

   - The FS posts do have content value, i've asked and have been asked
   about my impressions of a given item FS.  It does generate
   discussion/feedback about an item.
   - Sales interactions are generally very good and much better than
   craigslist, for the most part people here are cordial and i think that
   carries over in FS posts.  Of course there are the occasional person that
   low-balls or does not respond but i can spot those pretty quick and move on
   or not respond.  It can be frustrating to have someone say i take an item,
   than back out days later, but it's still not as bad as other places, so
   theres that!
   - This hobby is expensive, the FS posts allow folks to test certain
   items and then re-sell them for a much smaller loss than buying new.  I've
   tested out a lot of things that i would not have been able to do if i could
   only get it new.  That said, i'm not making money selling parts on the
   list!  but it is a way to take a little bit of the pain out of it.
   - The way threads are organized on the group does encourage multiple
   posts and then it looks like we're flooded with FS posts.  For this round i
   tried using just 1 post and then deleting/updating the post which did work
   to move it back up to the top but the post did feel stale.  Because the
   sorting of threads is by newest i think it does encourage people to post
   items for sale in separate threads for max exposure, if we could get people
   to post everything to a single post and then require them to only update
   that post--no new posts for the same sale, would that lower the number of
   FS posts?  This still requires the honor system because people would claim
   that they started a new 'sale' and people would need to click on a
   previosuly read post to see if new items were added but it might compress
   the number of posts in total
   - I don't see anyway to add any more 'rules' the system, there aren't
   any mechanisms built into google groups (that i'm aware of) to limit posts,
   or number of posts--that would all create more work for the moderators
   (Jim!) which is unfair.  The same with requiring a certain amount of
   activity, requiring non-FS posts, before FS posts, while i agree with the
   idea, the enforcement will be too difficult to be practical.
   -
   -  And my last point, no matter how friendly, cordial we all think of
   this group, ultimately it's still a semi-anonymous list on the internet.
   So we really need to keep that in mind, you can still get scammed, still
   get deadbeats, etc.  At the same time sellers are also not professional
   sellers so we also need to understand that some times things get lost,
   things are damaged in transit and be ready (on both sides) to work things
   out agreeably---it's still buyer beware /  seller beware!