Living in a desert (9" citywide average of precipitation a year, from 14"
in foothills to 5" on west mesa; I'm in the middle) I ride rarely in rain
(thank God) and snow (unfortunately -- I like riding in snow), but living
in the SW, our rains tend to come in downpours and collect on roads
designed without gutters -- many side streets, bike routes, are designed so
that the curbside itself is the gutter, and you ride in temporary
streambeds. Long windup to short point: Despite 9"/year, I've ridden on
many flooded roads.

In my experience since 1989 with all the major metal fenders -- at least 2X
each for Honjo, Berthoud, VO; and with multiple cases of all the plastics
(Bluemels to Zefals), I have found no fender at all that will prevent spray
when going through 1" or 2" of water at speed. This despite flaps 12"+ long
and 8" wide, and 1/2" above pavement. Rolled edges make no practical
difference, IME.

Speaking of motorcycles: You motorcycle riders: do you get wet feet and
shins in the rain?