Jay,

Knowing your regular bike size and your wife's makes a huge difference
especially regarding comfort!  I am 6’6” once had a 66cm bike Friday which road
comfortably and surprisingly like my other full size bikes.  Yet my wife
thought I looked like a bear on a bike in a circus.  The packing took just as
long almost as assembling and packing a bike with S&S couplers.  If you can
invest 20 minutes on each end only a break away bike will ride with the comfort
and familiarity I would want CC touring 40+ mile days slowly exploring.
I have had 3 Rivs with couplers.  A 62cm Custom, a 68cm Atlantis, and a 53cm
Atlantis for my wife.  All are packable in a 26x26 x8 case.  Only the Atlantis
took over 20 minutes.
I have ridden a Brompton and BF 16” wheeled bikes and would only use in urban
situations and if using public transportation.
Anyone under 6’ has a very different perspective because the difference between
their foldable bike is not that drastically different as one would be to a 62cm
Hunq.
Maybe I am more susceptible to the variation than many others.
The boat trip is a separate beast.  More like a bus I would want a folder
(maybe a Brompton) but could never see myself exceeding 25+ miles a day on one.

Good luck.  Biking is an amazing activity to combine with vacationing.
Something about the pace of exploring and observing a new place.

Sincerely,
Ryan Hankinson
West Michigan