I agree with all the comments here but there is another reason to go single
speed and thats SPEED. I regularly rode geared and single speed bikes over
rolling countryside paved roads often back to back and the single speed was
invariably faster. The same holds true when i went offroad and single
track, my single speed mtb was faster over the same route. Doing 24hour mtb
events with 15km loops the only thing faster than a single speed is a
single speed at night. Why are bikes faster at night? Is it because we cant
see the hills and danger or are we simply reverting to our childhood for a
while when nobody can see