Many people use this strategy, but it's funny, I have been doing the
opposite for almost 25 years: pace myself so I have energy to torque up the
hill; often standing for a mile or so (or, this is what I did when
younger). One one hill, ~7 miles long though mostly gradual, I'd stand for
a mile, sit for a few yards to rest, then stand again. I must try that hill
again one day, but with a bailout gear or 2 in case of emergencies.