It's interesting to view a moderately weight weenie thread on this
list!  expect
Rivendell make their frames as heavy as they are largely to avoid breakage
and resulting costs of return or repairs; that's a guess.

But reviewers of even the Clem, which I gather from list discussions is
built with heavier tubing than the Platypus, describe it as feeling agile
and fast; I recall Patrick O'Grady's very favorable review of his new Clem
some years ago I can't find it right now but I did come across a surprising
number of positive reviews of the Clem in the -- well, perhaps not
mainstream but certainly not RBW-list media.

I do think weight matters to how fast (or to put the same thing another
way, how easy to pedal) a bike *feels,* but IME it's not the only or even
the most determining factor, as some of the fastest "feeling" bikes I've
owned have been relative tanks, and even had rather heavy wheels, tho' none
had f+f+wheels. weighing 18 lb.

But I've certainly owned frames much lighter than Rivendells that seemed as
able to carry loads and be durable and, in some cases, consistently feel
faster than the Rivs they replaced - tho' I've owned heavy frames that also
felt faster than comparable Rivendells.