Another thought:

Are you sure the shifters are 9-speed? I can coax 8 clicks out of my
Shimano 7 speed barends, so perhaps you have an 8 speed that gives you
9 clicks, but the amount of cable pull would be wrong, leading to mis-
shifts at one end of the cassette or the other.

This is mere idle brainstorming, so take it with a grain of salt.

If you have multiple bikes and wheels, and 7, 8 , and 9 speed
cassettes and chains lying around, going friction is an incredibly
freeing proposition. Suddenly everything works with everything, and
you don't even have to think about it!

Good luck,

Gernot