Thanks for all the answers.

Earl Grey: Yes, the shifters is 9-speed (or atleast it has “compatible
with 9-speed” text on it). I used Silver Shifters before, but I found
it really difficult to shift between the 4 largest cogs on 11-34 9-
speed cassette while riding uphill with some cable tension. That’s why
I wanted to go indexed.

reynoldslugs: Did changing to Paul Thumbies solve the problem
completely? Is the shifting as fine as with your Bob Jackson now?

Jim: I checked that the cable is routed and attached to the derailleur
correctly. The derailleur hanger looks just fine, but I don’t know how
to check it more than that.

Kuma: If I adjust the cable so that the 3-4 largest cogs shift nicely,
the 3 smallest ones won’t - the derailleur jumps over the 2nd smallest
cog and the smallest and 3rd smallest make noise.

If I adjust the derailleur so that the 3 smallest cogs shift nicely,
the largest ones won’t - the derailleur jumps over the 2nd largest cog
on the way down and on the largest cog the chain rides on the top of
the cog almost dropping down to the smaller cog. 3rd largest makes
noise as well or the chain rides on the top of it.

Frederick, Steve: The dropouts are vertical.

AJ: The washer is installed correctly I think (pointing straight
down). Would it shift all the 9 clicks, if it was installed wrong?

I also loosened the cable and tightened it without the 4th hand tool,
played with different cable tensions and positions with the adjuster.
Nothing really helped.

So basicly the problem is that on the largest cogs I’d need more slack
on the cable and on the smallest cogs I’d need more tension on the
cable.

Any more ideas?

Juhani