With your updated report you've ruled out cable and housing friction,
and in my opinion have eliminated re-routing the cable/housing as a
possible solution.  If it were friction related, you'd shift well in
the 'pulling the cable directio' and poorly in the 'releasing the
cable direction' over all 9 cogs.  Since you have problems in BOTH
directions on the bad cogs and it works in both directions on the good
cogs, and since you can adjust any 2 or 3 cogs to be good, but that
makes all the other ones bad, then this is absolutely a cable pull
rate problem.  Your derailleur is moving too far, or not far enough
per click.  That means you either have a combination of parts that
don't work together, or you've attached the cable to the derailer
incorrectly.  If you run the cable on the wrong side of the anchor
bolt, you change the effective shape of the linkage and the pull rates
change.  Some people creatively route the cable wrong to get a Shimano
this to click correctly with a Campy that.  On a Shimano Deore XT Low-
normal rear derailer (both the current one without the adjusting
barrel or the last one that had an adjusting barrel built in), the
cable should be routed on the outside of the anchor bolt, on the near
side closer to you when you face the derailer.  This is the opposite
side to what you are used to if you normally set up non-rapid-rise,
non-low-normal rear derailers.  The photo of the XT low normal rear
derailer on the Riv-site has it routed correctly:

http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/shimano-xt-rear-der/17-117

Check that first.  Take a picture of it, so we can see that it is
right.