I'm glad I read this.  I've been a "bicycler"( I love that
description...thanks Grant P)  for the past 22 years. I've never raced and
found early on that group rides weren't for me.  I've never been fast
(15-17mph avg at best..usually 13-14) and found that trying to go above that
took the fun out of riding for me.
I hit the big 5-0 Saturday and it hit me like a boot to the groin (mentally
at least).  I was however able to do a wonderful 77 mile ride on my GP
designed Sam Hill.
I Rode to two neighboring towns and back, some mixed terrain, stopped for
lunch (had my first bison burger, great, even though a bit too heavy for a
mid ride break). Total time a bit over 6 hours. Time on bike 5 1/2 hours or
so. Point is I finished.  It was the longest ride of my life.  I feel I
could have easily done another 23 miles for a solo century, but I had
commitments and had to stop at that.

Sunday I was able to get out and do a 50 mile all road ride on my Ram. Lots
of curvy roads and fast descents (Jack Brown greens are unbelievable).  I
recouped pretty well from Saturday's ride and pushed myself pretty hard.
When I got home I logged my miles and started to flip through my computer to
the avg speed, but decided what the hell and cleared the trip out.  I guess
I didn't really want to know how fast or slow I was. I had an awesome time
and that was all that mattered.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is this.  I'm so thankful I didn't let
my slowness discourage me over the years.  Bicycler-ing for its own sake has
always been what I looked forward to the most when the weather was nice.
And even when it wasn't so nice. I love it as much today as I did 22 years
and 80 some K miles ago.

As for Grant Petersen designed bikes I can honestly say they are my
favorites.  Ride quality, aesthetics, the whole picture.  They are truly a
pleasure to own and use.  They are the benchmark I set to gauge all other
bikes I own and ride. I'm quite fond of my other bikes too, but they are
certainly no Rivendells. Thanks Grant!

Sorry to ramble on,
Clyde (1/2 century old bicycler who lives among non bicyclers,who wanted to
share his experiences with other bicyclers) Canter