on 4/7/11 3:08 PM, Aaron Thomas at aaron.a.tho...@gmail.com wrote:

I wish the Riv/Soma frame didn't have Riv's new "signature" kickstand plate.
I recall seeing a photo of someone's Hilsen (maybe Cyclofiend's?) that had
been CX-raced in the mud. And the kickstand plate acted as a mud shelf,
piling it up high behind the seat tube.

The kickstand plate seems to limit the versatility of the frame, without
really giving you any significant benefits. After all, you can always add a
kickstand to a frame without a plate. But you can't take a plate off a frame
without labors that would require a re-paint. Other than convenience for
those who use kickstands, what's to be gained by having the built-in plate?
I just don't get it.

I've often been tempted by the Hillborne, but I balk because of that darned
kickstand plate, which is entirely useless to me, and would likely only be a
liability given the sometimes-mucky off-roading I'd want to do on it.

Yep.  That was mine.  And just to be clear, that was SERIOUS mud.

Slip-sliding-strictly-sticky-significantly-saucy-spirit-sucking SERIOUS
mud....

http://vimeo.com/3387689

Yeah, it stacked up on the kickstand plate,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gzahnd/3285145851/in/set-72157613897340235

but it stuck to the drivetrain pretty seriously as well.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gzahnd/3285966758

There were full-bore chainstay-bridgeless CX frames that bogged down that
day.  IIRC, someone took images of all the goobered-over brakes that day -
it's somewhere on flickr.

In short, I've not had that type of results before or since - and I've
covered a pretty good assortment of conditions, both fendered and non.    If
I were getting a CX-specific frame, I wouldn't ask for it, but as far as a
mixed-terrain monster, its significance could be overstated...

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"There were messengers who named their bikes, but Chevette never would have
done that, and somehow because she did think about it like it was something
alive."

William Gibson - "Virtual Light"