How long is really the chainstay? Grant only wrote that some sizes will
have chainstays longer than 46cm. My wife's 1982 Trek 720 has a chainstay
of 47cm, and you can definitely see and feel that extra length. One place
where one experiences issue is chain length. A brand new SRAM 970 chain out
of package is not long enough for 46T chainring/32T large cog combination.
I was too lazy to lengthen the chain but tagging on a few more links, but
for now just told my wife not to shift to the Big-Big combination lest she
wants to break the derailleur.

Franklyn