In the 90s Americans climbing in Scotland were frustrated with their
mountaineering gear made for cold dry conditions. They were getting
drenched with sweat during exertion and then freezing when they slowed
down, They noticed that the Scottish climbers were using a very different
clothing system for their unique climate. Instead of bomb-proof waterproof
fabrics they went with a highly breathable exterior fabric and a wicking
pile on the interior. The "Scottish system" was much discussed in the late
90s because it was counter to all the major trends of waterproof and seam
sealed. I know that much of the story because my all time favorite jacket
for strenuous activities in cold wet weather is a Patagonia Infurno, which
was Patagonia's take on the Scottish system. Sounds like from Deacon's note
that he finds the system good for cool to cold and wet riding. I do as
well. Grant was working on a Ventile jacket. I remember at least one
picture of him wearing a trial version. I don't know if the project
continues.

For hot and humid with rain I wear shorts and seersucker or a wicking
t-shirt.

Bob (Indianapolis)