One point to add to all the great stuff above: flexibility matters. There
are some good suggestions for stretching in Just Ride.

I had a heck of a time on my first century with my lower back, just because
I probably did not have enough flexibility in my legs. I was smart enough
to have my handlebars at saddle height, but not smart enough to know that
comfort was more than that. Fortunately, that ride led me into yoga. Now
I'm much more comfortable, pretty much for all day in the saddle.

If I were "training" for that first century again, I would start doing
stretches that would open the hips, loosen the hamstrings, stretch the IT
band, and lengthen the groin muscles. Your lower back in mile 80 will thank
you. When I ride anything over 50ish miles, I usually spend about ten or
fifteen minutes somewhere stretching. I feel as refreshed from that as I do
from ice water and real food. Forward folds and pigeons are pretty good
stretches.