32 miles is "long" for me, too, but I tend to ride (a) fixed and (2)
energetically (though this is entirely relative to my ability, which is not
great). A 34 mile gravel ride two weeks ago (Fargo, geared) felt good
except for twinges in my left knee, but did leave me tired for two days
afterward -- although this was 17 miles of climbing, and return, on very
rough and sometimes quite steep gravel roads, and trying to keep up with a
fitter rider on a much lighter bike -- ie, I wasn't taking it easy.

I'd say that if 25 miles is a new distance for you, sure it counts, but
it's only a first step. I used regularly to commute 16 miles each way and
often would extend the commute up to 40 miles rt, and I can tell you I was
in far better shape than I am now. 10 years ago (aetatis mea tunc XLVIII)
it left me fit enough to do a 3h17m Sunday, hilly, windy, 50 miler in a 75"
gear and, on Monday, do a hilly 30+ miler with a local racing babe on the
same 75" gear, she on her racer -- she taking a recovery ride, me going
strong. (Well, "matron" may be a better term than "babe". Still, a carbon
fiber woman who was in the sub 3 hour group on the Sunday ride.)

Hasn't new research shown that shorter, more strenuous efforts get you fit
better than long, medium intensity slogs? Of course, simple time in the
saddle counts, too, for comfort reasons.

Oh, and I've heard experts say that each fixed mile counts as five
freewheel miles, ceteris paribus. (And if you believe that, you need
emoticons.)

I wish there was a century around here that didn't involve getting up at 5
am for a 60 mile drive. I must start riding longer distances on the Ram,
whose purpose in (my) life is longer distances as well as groceries.

Patrick "Auditis? An me ludit amabilis insania?" Moore

On Sat, Aug 3, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Michael <john11.2...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have upped my commute milage a smidge so far. Just a few miles a day.
>>

> Did a 25 mile ride last weekend. Fun ride. No problems.
> Todays round trip commute hopefully will be 32 miles. It was 16miles to
> work this morning. But I might push for 20 on the way home, making it 36
> round trip.
>
> I wonder if that "counts" as a long ride for this weekend or not.
> I am sure that a 36 mile ride all at once is a lot different than being a
> split round trip commute.
>

>  --

http://resumespecialties.com/index.html
patrickmo...@resumespecialties.com