On Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:39:15 PM UTC-7, Michael wrote:

> Was wondering what you all recommend for training for a century

Lots of different suggestions here, not all consistent with each other, so
I'll throw in my two cents.

In my own, personal experience, long rides are more mental than physical.
If your brain is confident that you can handle the ride, your legs will
usually obey.  Usually.

If you are under 35, reasonably fit and active, and riding at least short
rides (let's call 25-ish a short ride) regularly, you can probably bang out
a hunny.  When I was young and fit, I generally kept a tradition of
starting the season with a hundred mile ride, first time on the bike.  On
the other hand, if you're 55, flying a desk, and not riding much, well, it
may be more of a challenge.

What's your current idea of a long ride?  You've got all the way until
October...  build your "trainng rides" (hey, old habits die hard) until
you're rolling at least 50, at least once a week, with other rides
scattered through the week.  Or maybe just do random rides here and there,
and enjoy the adventure of not knowing -- if you finish, that'll actually
make a better story.

pb