Gen 1 Riv Roads have 80mm of drop, for a BB height of 260mm (according to
the early catalog)
http://www.campyonly.com/images/mystuff/2006/rivendell_road/rivendell_catalog_3.pdf

That BB height is measured on 700x25c tires.  Converting to 650x38 equals a
frame drop of 6mm (19mm smaller wheel radius, 13mm larger tire), for a BB
height of 254mm.  Not a huge difference.

But in the same article, Grant already warns about pedal clearance in
corners.  Lower the bike by 6mm and you should be very conscious of pedal
scrapes.  Gaining back 5mm of that clearance with shorter cranks isn't a
bad idea.

I find the advantages of the 650b conversion to be huge (cushy tires and
fender clearance), and the risk of pedal scrapes to be a minimal
disadvantage.  ATMO.

Tim