On Sunday, January 5, 2014 5:45:23 PM UTC-8, ted wrote:

> If I read that right, you are saying that your data shows a local maxima
> at medium-high pressure with lower losses at tire pressures both above and
> below that point. Is that really what you mean to be saying?

Yes, that is what we found. (There is a second maximum at very low
pressures, like below 40 psi for a 25 mm tire). As you point out, the
differences, while statistically significant (we had so much data that it
was easy to filter out the noise), don't really matter in real life.

"Just ride" really is a good way to think about tire pressure. It's nice to
know that obsessing about tire pressure doesn't gain you anything. I now
inflate my Grand Bois Hetres to about 45 psi, and then ride them for a few
months, until they start washing out under hard cornering, at which point I
inflate them again. It's nice not to worry about tire pressure more than a
few times a year. I do reduce the pressure if we are heading over long,
rough gravel sections, but then I hardly ever re-inflate them even if we
are riding for hundreds of miles on pavement thereafter.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly
www.bikequarterly.com